Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yeh dhuan sa kahan se uthta hai ~ Translation


This the Ghazal by Mir Taqi Mir, I first heard it in the background musin in Pakeezah and liked it but it is more of a piece of my heart now than ever...

The translation of the poem is hereby:

dekh to dil ke jaan se uthta hai
yeh dhuan sa kahaan se uthta hai

(See if this rising smoke is coming out of my heart or,
is it from the soul I have?? )

gor kis dil jale ki hai yeh falak
shola eik subh-o-yahaan se uthta hai


(The sky above seems to be a tomb in the name of a grudged person,
as every morning i see a ball of fire rising up there... )

bethne kon de hai ke ji usko
jo tere aastaan se uthta hai

(Once I have been touched by you company
now no one will settle me as you did)

yun uth-he aaha us gali se hum
yun uth-he aaha us gali se hum
jaisay koi jahaan se uthta hai
yeh dhuan sa kahaan se uthta hai

(After I stopped meeting you,
and barred all communications...
I have no life in me either)

dekh to dil ke jaan se uthta hai
yeh dhuan sa kahaan se uthta hai

ishq eik meer bhari patthar hai
kab ye kuch naatwan se uthta hai

(Love is an extremely heavy stone "meer",
For the weak ones cant even lift it, let alone carry it...)

11 comments:

  1. Good efforts . Keep it up and help people to realise beauty of Ghazal with meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the translation. I simply love the ghazal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can someone pls upload this version of the song again? This is the best version-I can't seem to find this at Youtube anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although there are some errors in writing the urdu verse, by and large, the translation is excellent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your translation help us to know this great beautiful urdu ghazal immensely. Thanks from Assam

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful translation ! One could enjoy this masterpiece by Mir Taki Mir even better. Thanks brother.

    ReplyDelete